Designing your own website?
Are you on a very limited budget? Intent doing building your website yourself? Or looking to get into a career in the web design industry?
A few tips below of our pet hates within the office when visiting some websites. Every newbie should pay attention these few tips to try help your customers / clients to deliver a professional image online.
- Turn off any background music, no matter how much the client wants it, 99.99% of the time its not needed
- Don't use flash. Its had its day, HTML5 is now the master. Even Adobe admit this with the latest release of their CS6 suite
- Copy / Paste from competitors websites or from suppliers. Google will mark you down accordingly, unique content is king to doing well
- Don't link to PDF files unless completely necessary. Reuse or rewrite content into HTML, no one really wants to download a 20mb PDF
- If budget / time allows, try make the website mobile / iOS compatible
- Don't just pull random images from google, they're usually copyrighted, find your own royalty free images, or better yet take some of your own
- Don't use budget / USA hosting, especially if website is after Irish market. There are very competitive deals by Irish Hosting companies which are faster and more secure then budget level USA hosting. Plus technical support is local and in your timezone
- Use a google map on your contact us page to show your exact location, include telephone / email on footer of all pages